What a year. It seems like the tail end of 2012 was just yesterday and we were walking into the kitchen to find five pies waiting for us, courtesy of our ACE Team rockstar and baking goddess Melissa van de Putte. We ate with gusto and looked forward to celebrating the advent of 2013 in style. How much a year has changed…
Don’t worry, we’re still the same breakfast taco-loving, insane party-having startup you know and love. Only now we’ve grown quite a bit (we just reached 100 employees this November) and had seven pies waiting for us in the kitchen this time, instead of five.
2013 was an epic year for us, and not just because we won three best-places-to-work awards (You heard us right, three! Check them out: Austin Business Journal, furniture company turnstone and the Austin American-Statesman.) We added a bunch of new features to our site, a bunch of new badasses to our team, and a few more bottles of champagne to balance it all out.
In January, we bared all for our first-ever Bust A Move-In 2013 calendar, a pin-up- style photo shoot where we fearlessly put our bodies on display for a good cause. We sent these calendars out to our storage friends and donated the proceeds from online sales to charity.
The odds were ever in our favor when we took home overall gold at the third biannual Austin Startup Games in February. In addition to winning honor and a “Goblet of Fire”-size trophy, we also donated $15,000 to our favorite charity, Kure It Cancer Research.
In March, we hosted our third unofficial SXSW Interactive party, The SpareFoot Party. It was huge! We had a line around the corner of The North Door, and Ryan Gosling was even rumored to attend. Spoiler alert: He didn’t actually show up … but there’s still hope for next year! (Hi, Ryan. Call us?)
It also was a year of giving. Our hearts went out to the victims of the explosions in West, TX, and the Colorado flood victims, to whom we donated storage. We held a lot of sweet giveaways this year too; lucky winners received SpareFoot swag, a mini-fridge full of Monster, $500 for the weirdest selfie, and six months of free self-storage.
This was a busy year for hair at SpareFoot; Juan Torres chopped off his ’fro for vets, and Albert Hood got the SpareFoot logo emblazoned in the back of his head. Our co-founder Mario Feghali had his sweaters pilfered. We traveled far and wide, bringing our beloved SpareFoot backpacks, courtesy of Patagonia, along for the ride. We upped our happy hour game, jokingly offered Kimye some free storage and drank way too much beer. We caught a glimpse of President Obama when he stopped to see our neighbors at Capital Factory. In July, we debuted our first Oscar-worthy (or at least Golden Globe-worthy) recruiting video, which starred an ensemble cast of talented SpareFeet. We hired an amazing full-time chef named Chef Ari, who spoiled us to full bellies. We celebrated Halloween in spooky style! We fell in love with our city and defended it against nonbelievers.
When we weren’t playing hard, we were working our butts off to make the SpareFoot experience awesome. This included making a bunch of changes to our product, like a new homepage, new layouts, details and review response features for our facilities, extended client relations hours and other new features for our storage customers. We uncovered a lot of cool storage trends in our Storage Trends Quarterly Volumes 3 and 4. We even helped get one of our clients 300 reservations in one month!
Still here? Check out some of SpareFoot’s best of 2013:
- Undercover Bosses: Chario to the Rescue
- How SpareFoot Uses Tech to Deliver Great Customer Service
- An Ode to Cheesy Goodness: SpareFoot’s Favorite Chile con Queso
- Where Your Client Relations Friends at SpareFoot Go Home for the Holidays
- Austin Networking Events: Where Should You Be?
- Our Favorite Austin Startups (Besides Ourselves)
- Why is it So Tough to Hire Tech Talent in Austin?
- 10 Awkward Stock Photos of People Moving
- The Ten Commandments of IKEA Furniture: Part 1
- The Ten Commandments of IKEA Furniture: Part 2
- The NeverEnding Storage: How Self-Storage Would Change These 4 Movies
- For Consumers, From Consumers: Self-Storage Advice
- SpareFoot Customer Reviews: Self-Storage is ‘Very Secure’
- Which Metro Areas Spend the Most on Moving and Storage?
- ‘Storage Wars: New York’ Star Mike Braiotta Spills Secrets
- One Woman’s Journey from Living in a Storage Unit to Living a Life of Stability
- 10 Tidiest Towns in America
- America’s Top 10 Military Boom Towns
- What Are the Fastest-Growing College Towns in the U.S.?
- Recent College Grads: How to Get a Job at a Sweet Tech Startup
- Cover Letter Dos and Don’ts: Startup Edition
- Land the Job: How to Rock Your Startup Interview
- Attention Startups: Hire Better Without Sacrificing Culture
- How to Make Your Industry Sexy on Social Media
- Are You Making These 12 Job Search Mistakes
It has certainly been a year to remember. Here’s to a 2014 filled with laughter, beer, success and storage! Much love from all of us at SpareFoot.